This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have good English language skills and have skills and qualifications in an occupation in need in Australia.
This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
You do not require sponsorship to apply for this visa.
Persons who can apply:
- are under 45 years of age
- have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
See: Form 1121i Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and Employer Nomination Scheme Occupation List (ENSOL) (129KB PDF file)
Visa Cost:You must pay the relevant visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.
See: Professionals and other Skilled Migrants
What does the visa let me do?
Australian permanent residents can:
- live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
- study in Australia at school or university
- receive subsidized healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence.
Visa validity period:The Skilled Independent Visa is a temporary Visa and time period of visa is 3 years.
Obligations:There are no conditions placed on this visa.
If you are granted this visa you are able to live and work in any part of Australia and engage in any type of employment. You and any accompanying secondary applicants must however comply with Australian laws. Failure to do so may affect your ability to remain in Australia.