Monday, February 22, 2010

Canada Family Immigration

Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and some foreign nationals may sponsor immediate relatives or family members who desire to become a permanent resident of Canada (subject to meeting eligibility guidelines).

Eligible' s for Canada Family Immigration

  • Spouse
  • Common law/same sex partner (16 years of age or older)
  • Conjugal partner
  • Dependent children under the age of 22
  • Children over the age of 22 if they are *full time students, or if they are mentally or physically challenged
  • Children under the guardianship of the sponsor
  • Children adopted or to be adopted
  • Parent
  • Grandparent
If permanent resident status is granted, the sponsor must promise to support the family member for 3-10 years so that they can establish themselves in Canada. You must meet certain income requirement if you wish to sponsor any of the above listed relatives. If in the past you have sponsored a relative, and that relative is currently receiving government assistance, you may not be eligible to sponsor another person.

If the person who you are going to sponsor is outside of Canada, you must sponsor them before they enter the country. Your relative or family member must then apply for immigration. If the person you intend on sponsoring is already in Canada, they must be your spouse or common-law partner.

Canada Family Immigration Spouse or legal partner requirement

  • Have valid, legal status in Canada as a visitor, student or temporary worker
  • Have lived with you for at least one year
  • Be living with you in Canada
  • Have a valid passport or travel document
  • Be 16 years of age or older
  • Be your spouse or common law partner for genuine reasons (not just for the purpose of receiving permanent residence in Canada).

UK Indefinite Leave to Remain

UK Indefinite Leave to Remain Eligibility
  • If you can settle in the United Kingdom under the business person category.
  • If you are in the United Kingdom under the business person category you will have to spend a continuous period, of at least five years, in the United Kingdom before becoming eligible to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain).
  • If you are aged 18-64 in the United Kingdom you should show sufficient knowledge of English language and life in the United Kingdom to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain).
  • In order to show that you have knowledge of life in the United Kingdom you will need to:
  • Have English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) level three standard; or
  • Undertake a short test called 'Life in the UK Test'.
  • You may be exempt from taking this test and you should check the BUS guidance to see if you are exempt before making your application.
UK Indefinite Leave to Remain Application Process

You will need to use the BUS application form to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) and you can download a copy of this form and guidance from the right side of this page. You should read the guidance for further information on knowledge of life in the United Kingdom as well as how to fill in the application form.

For the address of where to send your application form see the Where to send your form section.

For Dependents

You will need to apply for your dependents at the same time as you make your application for settlement and using the same form. Dependents will also need to take the 'Life in the UK' test if they are aged 18-64 and not exempt from taking the test (see above). For information on dependents you should see the Dependents section.

Any dependent children over 18 years old should make their own application on a separate form and pay the appropriate fee.

UK Indefinite leave to Remain Fees

You will have to pay a fee when you make your application.



Tourist Visa 

All tourists need passports to enter Brazil, but visas may or may not be mandatory depending upon relation between countries. USA citizens, for example, need visas, because they also require them from Brazilians. The Ministry of Foreign Relations authorizes the visas, which may be requested form Brazilian Representations abroad. The amount to be paid varies from country to country.

Note: All Tourist visa holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activity in Brazil.


  • Tourism trip;
  • visit to relatives and/or friends;
  • scientists, professors or researchers attending cultural, technological or scientific conferences, seminars.
  • participation in artistic or amateur sport competitions, whenever no monetary prize or paid admission is involved.

Temporary Visa Type 1

  • Scientists, professors, researchers, participants in cultural, technological or scientific missions. (services provided must not be paid for by a corporation or other legal entity based in Brazil, except for wages for services rendered, with the submission of a receipt);
  • Scientists, technicians, researchers or volunteers under the umbrella of an international cooperation program;
  • Interns and other unpaid trainees, bearers of scholarships receiving professional practice in Brazil;
  • Exchange students;
  • Technicians receiving training in the operation and maintenance of machinery or equipment produced in Brazil;
  • Amateur athletes, under 21 year old, participating in training programs in Brazil;
  • Provision of services to a religious or social assistance entity, without employment relationship with a corporation or other legal entity based in Brazil.
Temporary Visa Type 2

  • Travelers with business purposes, except when the trip involves the provision of services of any nature in Brazil (in which case a Vitem V is mandatory). Business visas are issued to business travelers who possess signed import/export contracts or who are traveling to visit companies, make commercial contacts or evaluate investment opportunities;
  • Media coverage or filming;
  • Flight/ship crew members not holding an international crew card; and
  • Adoption of a Brazilian child.
Temporary Visa Type 3
  • Paid participation in athletic or performing arts events.

Temporary Visa Type 4
  • Pursuing graduate or post-graduate academic studies in Brazil.
Temporary Visa Type 5
  • Provision of services to the Brazilian Government, arising from an international agreement, contract or undertaking to which Brazil is a party;
  • Employment contract with a corporation or other legal entity based in Brazil;
  • Technical assistance services arising from a contract, cooperation agreement, services agreement, or similar instrument signed with a foreign corporation or other legal entity;
  • Professional training, without an employment relationship, immediately after the completion of vocational training or university education;
  • Medical residency in an educational institution accredited by the Ministry of Education and Recreation;
  • Employees of foreign companies admitted to work in Brazil as trainees or interns at a subsidiary or Brazilian branch of the foreign company, provided that they are paid exclusively outside of Brazil by that foreign company;
  • Foreign instructors or professors who intend to travel to Brazil for a period of training in foreign language instruction;
  • Crew members of foreign vessels traveling to Brazil to operate in waters under Brazilian jurisdiction, as required under a charter, services or risk contract entered into with a Brazilian company;
  • Crew members of foreign fishing vessels leased by Brazilian companies;
  • Crew members or other professionals who perform paid activities aboard cruise vessels along the Brazilian coast, in the Amazon River basin, or in other inland waters.
Temporary Visa Type 6
  • Media correspondents
Temporary Visa Type 7
  • Travel for religious/missionary purposes.
  • Family reunion;
  • Transfer of residence following retirement;
  • Personal investment in Brazil;
  • Intra-company transferees to work as managers, directors, or executives;
  • Job offer at a Brazilian research, scientific, or academic organization based on field of expertise;
  • Manager or director of a religious or social assistance organization.
  • Diplomatic or Official mission.


Address and phone numbers:
Consular Service
3009 Whitehaven Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Phone: (202) 238-2828
Fax: (202) 238-2818


Open to public: 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (see instructions below  for drop-off and pick-up of documents) Monday through Friday, except holidays



The only method of payment for visas at the Brazilian Embassy, requested in person, through Visa Services or by mail, is U.S. Postal Money Orders, payable to the "Brazilian Embassy."


(FOR APPLICATIONS FROM  ANY CONSULAR JURISDICTION ) (Effective from September 18, 2007 )

  • Tourist VISA - 4 business days *
  • Business Visa and other Temporary Visas - 4 business days
  • Visa applications made by Visa Service Agencies - 4 business days
  • Diplomatic/Official/Courtesy Visas - 1 business day
  • Visa applications made by mail - 15 business days

(* 4 business days - an application submitted on Monday, for example, will be ready on following Friday).

Applications may be submitted by mail only by residents of the District of Columbia, Kentucky, Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia for the following type of visas only: Tourist and Temporary II (VITEM-II). Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with appropriate postage for return of passport. US POSTAL SERVICE First Class, Certified, Priority or Express Mail is advisable. Documents will neither be received nor returned via FEDEX.


The issue or renewal of the RNE card (Registro Notational de Estrangeiros, the Brazilian ID issued to non-Brazilian citizens who hold a Brazilian Permanent Visa) is not a service provided by the Consular Section of the Brazilian Embassy. It can only be obtained or renewed at the Federal Police in Brazil.

Foreign Citizens who have a Permanent Visa application’s register number should not leave Brazil until they receive their Permanent Visa and the RNE card. Those who leave Brazil before receiving the RNE and hold only the register number must apply for a Tourist Visa before traveling back to Brazil, because the register number is not valid for entrance in Brazil.

Although the US Department of Homeland Security accepts the RNE as a valid identity document, some airline companies do not accept it nor the register number as a valid travel document.

If you have applied for a Permanent Visa and for a Brazilian RNE and are traveling out of Brazil only with the register number, or if you hold an expired Brazilian RNE or an expired register number, or if you hold a Brazilian RNE but do not have a Brazilian Permanent Visa stamped on your passport, you must to apply for a Tourist Visa.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Belgium Immigration Information

To apply for a visa for a short stay (up to 90 days) in Belgium, you must submit the following documents to the embassy or consulate responsible for your place of residence:

1. A valid travel document (e.g. national passport) in which a visa can be affixed . This travel document must be valid for three months longer than the visa.

2. A visa application form correctly completed, signed and accompanied by two recent passport photos bearing a true likeness to the applicant.

3. Documents proving the purpose of your trip (e.g. a letter of invitation) and the circumstances of the planned stay (e.g. hotel reservation, staying with a private individual).

4. Documents proving that you have sufficient means of subsistence, covering both the duration of your stay and your return journey:

- Either your own financial means (e.g. hotel reservation, cash, cheques and credit cards accepted in Belgium, an employment contract, bank statements, proof of enrollment on the trade register and/or of professional activity);

The guarantor's financial 

A pledge of financial support is specific proof of means of subsistence. It offers a solution in situations where you cannot prove your own  solvency. Through this pledge of financial support, a Belgian national, or a foreign national resident in Belgium, acts as a guarantor for your period of residence, your return journey and your medical costs. The guarantor should ask for the pledge of financial support (also called Annex 3bis) at the municipality (commune/gemeente) of his/her place of residence. The guarantor does not have to be the issuer of the invitation. When the pledge of financial support has been authenticated by the municipal authorities, the original document must be submitted to the relevant embassy or consulate, within six months of the authentication, together with:

 * a copy of the guarantor's last three pay slips or any other (official) document proving his/her solvency. In the case of a family visit, the guarantor must earn at least 800 euro net per month + 150 euro for each of the guarantor's current dependents and/or + 150 euro for each person invited. In the case of a visit to friends, the guarantor must earn at least 1,000 euro net per month + 150 euro for each of the guarantor's current dependents and/or + 200 euro for each person invited;

* a copy of a document proving that the guarantor is of Belgian nationality (identity card) or has authorization to stay in Belgium indefinitely (residence permit).

Given that the number of current dependents is a factor in determining the solvency of the guarantor, it is also advisable to submit proof of the  make-up of the guarantor's family together with evidence of any family benefits received.

5.  Proof that you are the holder of a valid travel insurance policy, either individual or group, covering the cost of repatriation on medical grounds, urgent medical treatment and/or urgent hospital treatment. As a rule, you must take out insurance in your country of residence. If your host takes out the insurance for you, he/she must do so in his/her own country of residence. To find out which insurance policies are accepted, you should enquire at the relevant Belgian embassy or consulate. The insurance must be valid throughout all of the Schengen countries  and must cover the whole duration of the stay. The minimum cover is 30,000 euro.

6.  Proof of transport arrangements (return ticket): as soon as your visa application has been approved, you must submit a return ticket (in your name and non-transferable) in order for the visa to be issued.

You only need submit the return ticket and travel insurance policy once the Belgian embassy or consulate informs you that your visa has been granted. This is to avoid unnecessary expense on your part. However, the embassy or consulate may ask you to submit proof that a return ticket has been reserved.

The documents listed above are only the basic documents to be submitted in all cases. Additional documents may be requested by the embassy or consulate.


In some cases, the visa application procedure may take a long time so you should submit your application as early as possible. For a short stay, you should normally apply for your visa three to four weeks prior to departure. 

When the application is complete, it is sent in some instances to the Immigration Service at Federal Public Service Home Affairs in Belgium, which decides whether or not a visa may be issued (Chaussée d'Anvers 59B Antwerpsesteenweg,   B-1000 Brussels, Tel.: +32 (0)2 206 15 99, Fax: +32 02/274.66.91

Sunday, February 7, 2010


The United States L1 visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows companies operating both in the US and abroad to transfer certain classes of employee from its foreign operations to the USA operations for up to seven years. The employee must have worked for a subsidiary, parent, affiliate or branch office of your US company outside of the US for at least one year out of the last three years.

Companies operating in the US can apply to the relevant USCIS service center for an L1 visa to transfer someone to the US from their overseas operations. Employees in this category will, initially, be granted an L-1 visa for up to three years.

There are two types of employees who may be sponsored for USA L1 visas:


The legal definition of management and executive roles for these purposes is quite strict, and a detailed description of the duties attached to the position will be required. In particular, the executive or manager should have supervisory responsibility for professional staff and/or for a key function, department or subdivision of the employer. Such personnel are issued an L1A visa, initially for a three year period extendible in two year increments to a maximum of seven years.

Specialized Knowledge Staff 

This category covers those with knowledge of the company's products/services, research, systems, proprietary techniques, management, or procedures. Staff in this category are issued an L1B visa, initially for three years extendibles to a maximum of five years.

On completing the maximum allowable period in L-1 status, the employee must be employed outside the United States for a minimum of one year before a new application is made for L or H status.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010


The Entrepreneur Program seeks to attract experienced business persons who will own and actively manage businesses in Canada that contribute to the economy and create jobs. Entrepreneurs must:

  • Show that they have business experience
  • Have a minimum net worth of C$300,000 that was obtained legally and
  • Respect the conditions for entrepreneurs after they arrive in Canada.

You must have managed a qualifying business and have had control of a percentage of equity of the qualifying business for at least two years in the period that begins five years before you submit your application and ends when a decision is made on your application.
Your business must not be operated primarily for the purpose of deriving investment income, such as interest,
dividends or capital gains.

You must be able to satisfy a visa officer that the fair market value of all your assets and the assets of your spouse or common-law partner were obtained legally. Your assets must exceed the fair market value of all your liabilities and the liabilities of your spouse or common-law partner by at least C$300,000.

You must be able to prove that no portion of your net worth was obtained through criminal activity. You will be asked to explain any discrepancies between your net income over the years and your present net worth. The visa officer who assesses your net worth may ask you for documents to confirm both your income sources and your net worth.

You will be assessed based on selection criteria that include your experience, education, age, language abilities and adaptability.


You and your family members must pass a medical examination and security and criminal checks.


The Self-Employed Persons Program seeks to attract applicants who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. Self-employed persons are required to have either:
  • Relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or
  • experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.

Relevant experience is defined as:

  • Participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics
  • Farm management experience or
  • Self-employment in cultural activities or athletics. Please consult the Related Links section at the bottom of this page for a list of activities that qualify. You will also find a link to definitions of terms that apply to self-employed persons.

You will be assessed on selection criteria that include your experience, education, age, language abilities, and adaptability.


You and your family members must pass a medical examination and security and criminal checks.
You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your Dependants after you arrive in Canada. You must also meet any other requirements of Canadian and provincial or territorial immigration regulations.


Canadian immigrants will find it quicker in future to have their qualifications assessed. The new Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications will mean that Canadian immigrants will find out within one year whether they can be licensed or registered to work in certain fields. This was announced recently by the Honorable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development
and Co-Chair of the Forum of labor Market Ministers, and the Honorable Jason Kenney, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism.
"Attracting and retaining the best international talent to address existing and future labour market challenges is critical to Canada's long-term economic success," said Minister Finley. "Ensuring that foreign credentials and qualifications are assessed and recognized in a timely manner will enable newcomers to maximize their talents."

"This framework is another important step in paving the road to success for Ontario's newcomers," said the Honorable Michael Chan, Ontario Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. "This builds on the plan our government already has in place to help newcomers get licensed in their field and get jobs."

The framework states the following:

    * Governments across Canada will work towards better pre-arrival services.

    * Assessments should be fair, transparent, consistent and timely across Canada

    * There should be improved workforce participation services for newcomers.

"A priority of this government has been to make our immigration system more competitive globally and more responsive to Canada's needs," said Minister Kenney. "This framework complements initiatives such as the Action Plan for Faster Immigration, as they make our immigration system better meet the needs of our labour market. We want newcomers to be able to use their skills and work to their full potential. It's good for them and good for the Canadian economy."

Minister Finley and Minister Kenney also met with community leaders in the Greater Toronto area to discuss how to improve the process of assessing the education, skills and experience of recent immigrants.

It is hoped that the Economic Action Plan investment of $50 million will do the following:

    * "Develop the principles of timeliness, transparency, fairness and predictability that the federal, provincial and territorial governments set out to guide the process;

    * Develop standards for the timely handling of requests;

    * Identify the priority occupations for developing recognition standards; and

    * Help people who want to come to Canada start the assessment process before they arrive."

Foreign Credential Recognition is a key part of the pan-Canadian implementation of the Framework. Canada as a Country devotes considerable resources to make it easier for immigrants to settle down in Canada and make a contribution to Canadian society.


UK immigration has announced a ban on applications from students in North India, Bangladesh and Nepal. From 1 February 2010 no new applications will be accepted under the Tier 4 student visa of the points at the following visa application centres:

    * North India - New Delhi, Jalandhar and Chandigarh

    * Bangladesh - Dhaka, Sylhet and Chittagong

    * Nepal - Kathmandu

There was a huge increase in the number of UK student visa applications made in the last three months of 2009; 13,500 application were made in Northern India compared to 1,800 applications in the same period of 2008.

UK Visa offices have had difficulty coping with the number of applications. There have also been concerns that many student visa applications are not genuine. Some visa companies have been encouraging people to apply for student visas as a way of staying in the UK on a long term basis. However, it is interesting to note that the UK has itself been encouraging students to spend more time in the UK. For example many students after completing their studies in the UK can then apply for a Tier 1 Post Study Work visa enabling them to work in the UK for two years. After Tier 1 PSW you may then be able to apply for Tier 1 General which leads to settlement in the UK.

The British high commissioner in Delhi, Sir Richard Stagg, said that steps would be taken to prevent abuse of the system. UK Visa offices will be making additional checks on visa applications. Visa applications in the above locations are suspended. This will be reviewed at the end of February 2010.

Jeremy Oppenheim, head of the points-based system at the UK Border Agency, had the following to say:

'The points-based system gives us the flexibility to act to maintain the integrity of the visa system, while processing legitimate applications fairly, thoroughly and as quickly as possible.

'We continually check and monitor all student applications and education providers to ensure that they meet the required standards set by the points-based system. As a result of this routine monitoring and an increase in applications, we have temporarily stopped accepting new applications from North India, Nepal and Bangladesh while we carry out an investigation to ensure they are all genuine.

'We will take tough action against those who attempt to abuse the system.'

It should be noted that UK Universities and colleges are very dependent on fee income from overseas students including income from Indian students. Some overseas students are paying over GBP20,000 a year in fees. Overseas students may pay three times the rate of home students. Many UK educational institutions would be in financial difficulties if they did not have overseas student fee income.

Monday, February 1, 2010


The Diversity Visa lottery program issues 50,000 immigrant visas each year to people who come from countries with low rates of immigration to United States. In the visa lottery, a computer randomly chooses winners from those who apply. Those selected through this lottery program are able to file for permanent residency in the U.S. and can also bring a spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.

To be eligible, an applicant must a native of, or the child of someone born in, a country eligible for the visa lottery. In addition, an applicant must either hold the equivalent of a high school diploma or two years of work experience, within the past five years, in an occupation that requires two years of training or job experience. There is no fee to enter the visa lottery, but if selected, an applicant must pay a fee for an immigration visa and a visa lottery surcharge.
USA Diversity Visa>
The U.S. Department of State announces the visa lottery each year through press releases and on the State’s department’s Web site. Generally, the department issues instructions for participation in the lottery each August, with the actual selection process following in October of the same year. A winner receives notification by May or June of the next year. The visa is issued approximately one year after the lottery selection. Only those selected receive notification.

The visa lottery divides the 50,000 visas each year among six geographic regions. Regions with lower rates of immigration receive a greater number of visas. No visas go to citizens of countries sending more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years. To find the most recent list of excluded nations, due to the number of immigrants sent, contact the U.S. Department of State.

Only one visa lottery entry per person is allowed and must be completed electronically. The entry requires information including name, date of birth, and city or town and county of birth. Gender, mailing address, marital status, and a digital photograph are also required. Also, an applicant must provide the country with eligibility information about his or her spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age. The applicant will receive a confirmation notice once the entry is complete.

A husband and wife can each file separate entries, as long as both meet eligibility requirements. An applicant may be living in the U.S. or another country when entering the visa lottery. More than 50,000 names are selected because not every person selected will be eligible for a visa or follow through on the process. The diversity immigrant program ends for the year once 50,000 visas are issued. 

Benefits for Winners
The Green Card gives the holder the legal right to Live, Work, Own a Business and Study anywhere in the United States of America permanently. It gives the right to enter and leave the country freely. You may work in the many public and private sector jobs that are available. Green Card holders also receive health, education and other benefits offered only to permanent residents. They can also sponsor relatives for a green card. The USA Green Card DOES NOT affect present citizenship. A holder of a card may later apply for a United States citizenship and passport, if desired. 


 Official Rules: Digital Processing
DV Lottery requirement
The U.S. State Department requires all applications to be filed electronically. The requirements are very strict: Photos should be in JPEG format, 24-bit color; monochrome images (less than 24-bit color depth) will not be accepted.A new digital photograph must have a resolution of 600 pixels wide by 600 pixels high, and a color depth of 24-bit color. If an existing photo is scanned, it must have a resolution of at least 150 dots per inch (dpi). The original photo should be 2 x 2 inches in size. The same rules regarding the depth of color apply. The maximum image size accepted will be two hundred-forty thousand (240,000) bytes. Images should be taken directly facing the camera in front of a light-colored background. The face should cover between 50% and 69% of the height of the image.

What is the processing fee and how can I pay it?
Note it Carefully, that the US Government does not charge an application fee.There are so many spam sites which gives offer for online application and for preparation of application.But most are fake.

How can a married couple increase their chances of being selected

If you are married, you must submit a "family application". To increase your chances, you and your spouse can each file separate applications. On one application, the husband is the primary applicant, and on the other application the wife is the primary applicant. Submitting separate applications doubles your chance of winning the lottery. To file a dual application, both you and your spouse should meet the lottery requirements. You must then file separate applications and pay the processing fee individually. 

By applying for the Diversity Visa Lottery Program, will this affect any other visa applications?
Normally not, since this is a separate application process, although if you are applying for a another type of visa at the American embassy/consulate in your country, you might be asked if you have also applied for the Green Card Lottery. 
Do you need my supporting documents with my Application?
No, supporting documents (i.e., birth, marriage, education certificates, etc.) only need to be produced if you are selected in the Green Card Lottery. You will receive further instructions at that time.
If I am selected in the Green Card Lottery, how long will it take before I can emigrate to the USA?
On average, the process takes about 6 to 12 months. 
I'm eligible to apply but I'm currently living in an ineligible country - can I still apply?
Yes, as long as you meet the eligibility requirements (country of birth and education), then you may apply from anywhere in the world. 
For how long is a US Green Card valid?
It is valid indefinitely as long as you maintain your US residence. In other words there is no time restriction on how long you may stay in the USA.
If I get my US Green Card, may I also get US Citizenship?
You may apply for US Citizenship after 5 years of continuous residence in the USA. Application for citizenship is optional. 
How Can I Find Out If I Won?
You can check your status online through the official site.