The new test items only apply for visas to:
- Subclass 886 Skilled Sponsored
- Subclass 176 Skilled Sponsored
- Subclass 885 Skilled Independent
- Subclass 487 Skilled Regional Sponsored
- Subclass 175 Skilled Independent Subclass 475 Skilled Regional Sponsored
- Age 45-49: 0 Points
- Age 40-44: 15 Points
- Age 18-24 and 33-39: 25 Points
- Age 25-32: 30 Points
- Superior English (a score of at least 8 in each of four components IELTS): 20 Points
- Fluency in English (a score of at least 7 in each of four components IELTS): 10 points
"The reforms will lay the foundation for a migration of skilled workers who will respond to our economic needs and continue to serve the interests of Australia's medium to long term," he added.
A review of the current points test found he had led in nominations of individuals in only a small number of professions and a growing backlog of people waiting for visas to skilled immigration.
"The existing test points have not always produced results consistent with the objectives of the migration of skilled workers," said Bowen.
Bowen said the new test points should ensure that Australia recognizes the "best minds" from the list of candidates.
The test will only affect new items of independent skilled immigration and not immigration sponsorship by the employer. Any person making an application after 1 July 2011, within the new points test. If you meet the requirements for skilled immigration to Australia, it may be preferable to apply now and come under the current immigration regime. You can not benefit from the new immigration regime from 1 July 2011.